Birmingham, Ala.: Champion Sports Medicine and Birmingham-Southern College (BSC) are proud to announce that Champion Sports Medicine has become the Official Sports Medicine and Physical Therapy Provider of Birmingham-Southern College Athletics. Through this exclusive partnership, Champion Sports Medicine will provide BSC Athletics with a wide array of sports medicine and physical therapy services.
"Champion Sports Medicine is very excited to partner with Birmingham-Southern College," said Trent Nessler, PT, MPT, DPT, Regional Director of Operations, Champion Sports Medicine. "As the industry leader in the state of Alabama, we look forward to supporting the student-athletes at Birmingham-Southern College with our clinical expertise and extraordinary patient experience as they work to meet all of their athletic goals."
Through this partnership, Birmingham-Southern College's 475 student-athletes will have access to a wide range of sports medicine and physical therapy, injury prevention and performance enhancement services, including:
- On-Site Physical Therapy Services: On-site physical therapy services will be provided by a sports medicine certified physical therapist. This will allow student-athletes to receive care at their convenience in the athletic training room on campus.
- Performance Specialist: Student-athletes will participate in sport-specific strength and conditioning and injury prevention programs under the guidance of the Champion Sports Medicine Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist.
- ACL Play it Safe Program™: A multicomponent training program incorporating movements emphasizing strength, movement coordination, plyometrics, balance and flexibility. This exclusive program, developed in conjunction with Cramer® and Theraband®, is based on the latest evidence-based research.
- 3D Movement Analysis (ViPerform AMI™): This program utilizes state-of-the-art wearable motion sensors to provide physical therapists, athletic trainers and physicians with lab quality data instantaneously to assess deficiencies in functional movement. This allows clinicians to monitor the impact that treatment or training has on movement patterns that put athletes at risk for injury and negatively impact performance.
- Concussion Management Programs: Comprehensive concussion management and return to play protocols developed in conjunction with Champion Sports Medicine's national network of industry experts.
- Educational Seminars and Training: Periodic educational seminars will be offered to athletes, coaches, and parents focusing on the athlete's health and wellness. In addition, the healthcare teams will work with current strength and conditioning coaches to provide enhanced sports performance training and return to sport conditioning.
"Champion Sports Medicine is leading the way in sports medicine innovation, injury prevention and care," said Rachel Morris, MS, ATC, head athletic trainer of Birmingham Southern College. "When it came to selecting a sports medicine partner for Birmingham Southern Athletics Program, the choice was easy."
This new strategic partnership is effective immediately.
About Champion Sports Medicine
Founded in 2004 by Kevin Wilk, P.T., DPT, FAPTA, Champion Sports Medicine is a known leader in sports medicine and part of the Select Medical Outpatient Division, a nationally prominent, locally driven provider of outpatient physical rehabilitation. Champion's comprehensive sports medicine network is the largest in the state of Alabama with 25 outpatient centers, 50 licensed athletic trainers, 50 physical therapists and five collegiate and 40 high school partnerships. Through our years of commitment to the physicians, coaches and patients of Alabama, Champion Sports Medicine is the chosen provider of some of the top local and professional athletes and #WhereTheProsGo for physical therapy services.
For more information, please visit csmsportsmedicine.com.
About Birmingham-Southern College
Birmingham-Southern College is a four-year, private liberal arts institution in Birmingham, Ala., founded in 1856 and affiliated with the United Methodist Church. It enrolls about 1,300 students from more than 30 states and 8 foreign countries. Learn more online at www.bsc.edu.