The healing power of warm water therapy
At Champion Sports Medicine, we know that certain conditions and injuries are best treated while you are in water maintained at therapeutic temperatures. Aquatic or water therapy, provides a safe, effective environment to positively impact movement, strength and function.
Aquatic therapy uses buoyancy to support your weight, reducing the pain and stress placed on specific muscles and joints and enabling greater freedom. Warm water also allows muscle to relaxation and increased blood flow to injured areas.
Water therapy can also help you function at levels not possible on land, without fear of falling, which affords physical gains and positive reinforcement. Aquatic therapy boosts general conditioning and strength; it’s also used to treat a variety of conditions:
- Back pain
- Balance disorders
- Chronic pain
- Multiple sclerosis (MS), a disease of the central nervous system
- Muscular dystrophy (MD), progressive weakness and loss of muscle mass
- Neurological disorders (Parkinson’s disease, stroke)
- Post-surgery care including joint replacements
What you can expect
After initial evaluation, your physical therapist may determine that aquatic therapy will help the healing process. Aquatic therapy can help you achieve:
- Less pain
- Increased muscular strength, flexibility and endurance
- Enhanced joint mobility and stability
- Improved balance, coordination and cardiovascular endurance
- Activities that matter most to you
During ongoing appointments, your therapist will adjust treatment as you improve and incorporate land-based exercises as soon as possible to maximize the functional gains you make in water.